Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Barefoot Running Experiment, Day 1

This evening I began The Barefoot Running Experiment. These are my Vibram Five Finger Running Shoes:


I've been researching Minimalist Running and decided to give it a shot. I respect my podiatrist and believe that he really knows what he's doing. I am glad he sliced open my foot and removed my extra navicular bone. I'm just not so sure about the orthotics and all the orthotic-tweaking he's been doing. I made it through the Wasatch Back with Naproxen, Tylenol, my Keens, and my running shoes (complete with orthotics), but now it's time for something completely different.

It's important to ease into barefoot running. Tonight I ran 1/2 mile in my Vibrams. Tomorrow, if I don't notice any discomfort from today, I will run 1 mile. My goal is to run the Freedom 5K on July 5th in my Vibrams.

My observations through and after tonight's run:

Don't think. Just run. This, in addition to being my personal and our Wasatch Back team motto, held true for me tonight. I was trying to pay close attention to my feet -- how I was landing on my heel, trying to lighten my heel strike, how my calves were feeling, etc -- it was too much attention. When I quit worrying about my feet so much, I fell into a natural rhythm that was comfortable and even. I wanted to go further, but I knew if I overdid it I could hurt myself pretty badly.

After the run my calves were a tiny bit tight, but not too bad.

Other than that, I feel really good. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's run and to increase my mileage.

1 comment:

ali said...

ok, I've noticed when I run barefoot that my muscles do all the work and the strain comes off my joints.

Pretty awesome, but it made my muscles more sore. Which I basically take to mean I'm doing it exactly right and my legs will build that muscle in due time.

run on sista.